"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

16 January 2012

Review: The Keeper - Natalie Star


I recieved this book as an ARC and can honestly say I was expecting to simply not like it. Talk about making your mind up before even beginning. Wrong I know but when you grow used to enjoying certain things new things can sometimes seems something that simply doesn't cross one's mind. But as my review will show, I was wrong. Completely wrong. 

The Keeper is the work of author Natalie Star, who has written two books (this being her first published novel) and with three more in the works. Book #2, the companion of The Keeper is currently being written, hopefully just as exciting a read as this one! Click here to learn more about Natalie, her work and her life or click here for her goodreads author page.

So here's the review for 'The Keeper':

Well not to sound too corny but The Keeper is definitely a keeper. I completely surprised myself by reading this book. I thought that I would give it a go but probably not like it seeing as I didn’t really read YA novels. But boy was I wrong. I spent a whole day reading the book as I could not put it down and wanted to know what fate had in store for the characters. Well fate as I put it adds up to supernatural powers interfering with the lives and minds of the protagonist and those close to her.

Billie is a seemingly normal, popular teenage girl dealing with all the angst that teenage angst and hormones bring. She unknowingly receives a mystical ‘gift’ during a field trip and she begins to embark on a dangerous, thrilling, exciting journey to fulfil her destiny. So not only does Billie have to worry over appearance, straight hair, good grades, boyfriends and best friends but has to also worry about prophetic nightmares, supernatural visions and evil beings tracking her. So yeah, she leads a very confusing life. Her sixteenth birthday completely changes her life; a strange old necklace is gifted to her and an old ‘acquaintance’ appears in her life and a strong, familiar bond is created.

‘The Keeper’ is full of twists and turns, surprises at every corner both heartbreaking and heart warming and the relationships between the characters are so real, so emotional that you are completely invested in their outcomes, in their lives.

This book will surely be a firm favourite with those who love similar YA novels. But I believe that I enjoyed it so much as the characters are so easy to empathise with (despite all the supernatural, mystical stuff). Billie (despite her destiny) is a normal, popular school girl who worries about her hair and make-up, fights with her brother for the bathroom, gets detention and falls in love. I’m sure every girl can empathise with that. No truly, this book has a little bit of everything; fun, romance, fantasy, supernatural elements and most of all it has a good story! So the moral of the story is don’t always judge a book by its cover (or blurb), take a chance and you might end up liking something that is completely different to what you usually enjoy.

An enjoyable, fun, thrilling book! 

 Here's the video trailer for the book. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!