"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

09 November 2012

Feature & Follow #5

Hi everyone! :) Feature & Follow is a weekly blog hop hosted over @ Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

How to join in:
Feature & Follow is all about making new friends and following new great blogs. The whole point of this blog hop is to gain more followers and follow those in return. You follow me, I follow you in return etc. Each week both blogs will showcase a Featured blogger each. If you participate in this blog hop you must follow both of the hosts as a courtesy.
 
 
 Q:Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?
 
Not really. Similar ideas, themes, concepts etc is what makes us like particular genres/types of books right? Take fantasy books for instance; I love elves, dragons, magic and so on and when I read book after book with these ideas in I really don't mind and don't really get tired of it. I love fantasy because of what the genre brings to the table. Take the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini as an example. I loved Eragon, the first book because it had all the fantasy concepts in it that I love. Yes, reading back through the series I can see that some ideas are extremely similar to other books/films as some people have pointed out, but I enjoyed the whole reading experience and I think that's what counts at the end of the day
 
Retellings I don't mind at all. Right now I can't get enough of fairytale retellings. I absolutely loved Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I thought it was such a unique and clever retelling of the story. There's a few other fairytale retellings on my wishlist that I can't wait to get my hands on. I think retelling an old tale and invigorating it with new life, a new story and maybe a new twist is just so clever and I love love love reading such stories. 
 
Fanfics? Not so much. You won't see me picking up the Fifty Shades trilogy anytime soon. Well, never is more precise. 
 

9 comments:

  1. New follower hopping through! Happy to have run across your blog. Anyone with Cinder AND Terry Pratchett on the sidebar is a blogger worth following! :)
    Here's My FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Follower here as well (Via GFC). I agree with you on a lot of what you said. Especially the bit about where you're never going to pick up the FSG trilogy. Here's my FF (Ignore its being weird, I hit "post" before I added the post title, lol):

    http://thatgirlreads.blogspot.com/2012/11/to-join-fun-and-make-new-book-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that fantasy books are bound to have similar basic ideas to each other unless they are totally off the wall. Where I get annoyed is when the world is very similar, and the species have the same weaknesses/strengths and the characters have the same backgrounds. There is just no way that is a coincidence, ya know??

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm an old follower, but new with NetworkedBlogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that some ideas and themes are what makes a book genre, and therefore there are going to be things that will repeat in each book about vampires, dragons and so on. I don't really mind in those cases... But sometimes things go too far, I mean, I like books which have their unique plot lines, and character development. And there are some that has practically copy&paste some lines of other author works. The thing is being able to tell the difference between the two cases, I think.

    I'm a new GFC follower
    Kar @ Pause Time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I don't mind as long as there seems to be some original thought put into the story.

    old Follower GFC: http://mydailyobsessionreview.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I din't mind when it's things such as re-tellings or similar backgrounds when the things are exactly the same, that's when things start to get iffy. Great answer.

    Old Follower
    Kaina @ These Flying Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love retellings too! Great answer! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!