"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

27 October 2014

Top Ten Books To Read For Halloween!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Trick or treat?

A little light-hearted novel perhaps for all of you who are freaked out by gruesome depictions of zombies? Quirky, sweet and so much fun.

A psychological thriller - creepy, disturbing and disorientating. Will have you jumping at every little noise...especially if it's at the window... (REVIEW)

I hear you all saying - Jane Eyre? Really? It's gothic, there's a madwoman in the attic in a big creepy house with a little romance thrown in. Perfect.

This book just freaked me out. Along with the spooky pictures and creepy descriptions, I was rather scared and worried what I'd see in the corner of the room once the lights were off...


This series as a whole is gory and gruesome with some bad-ass vampires (no sparkly nice vampires here). A YA Halloween read for those of you who don't want to tackle a classic like Dracula but still want the gore and the guts (REVIEW)

A graphic novel where the stories and pictures combine to create an absolutely terrifying and gruesome spectacle. Such an awesome and creepy Batman story. Plus the Joker on the cover is so gory especially if you own the hardcover like I do and pull off the slip cover to see what lies beneath...

So much more gory and shocking than the tv show. For those of you who love lots of guts, zombies and jaw-dropping events - some are so crazy that you have to put the book down to process it all - this is the book for you. An amazing graphic novel but so much blood and guts and death. SO.MUCH.DEATH!

Such a graphic and dramatic thriller that will really keep you on your toes. It was bloody, creepy and completely chilling. If you love thrillers with a shocking, murderous twist this is the book for you. (REVIEW)

The original, bloody thirsty, fang wielding vampire himself - Dracula. The classics were always going to top the list. I love the other deeper themes discussed in this book (the English graduate in me) but you can't beat a book about creepy vampires on Halloween. 

Dr Frankenstein, his tragic monster and a tale of revenge. This book is super atmospheric, gothic and creepy. It's also a cautionary tale about a man's hubris and a sad one - it isn't the monsters fault! So dramatic and full of drama. A must read Halloween classic.

3 comments:

  1. Some excellent choices! I love the combination of classics with modern thrillers. I read Miss Peregrine's last October and while I liked it, it wasn't as spooky as the cover led me to believe. I do want to read some Lauren Beukes, it sounds like it's right up my alley! Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just reading The Shining Girls but am a bit lost, and it's a slow progress, too. I have to get back to it.
    I only read Kagawa of the list but wasn't too impressed by her novels. I will try her fae next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices! Really can't argue with The Walking Dead or Jane Eyre. Such great Halloween books on opposite ends of the spectrum :)

    Andrea @ Bookish

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!