"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

13 March 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Fantasy Novels

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over @ The Broke and the Bookish and is a great way of sharing each others book related lists. This weeks top ten list is all about your favourite books in whatever genre you choose, so I thought I'd choose favourite fantasy novels thinking it would be quite easy. Well it was easy up to a point but then I couldn't really choice out of a few so I cheated a little and noted down fantasy series ;) Oopsie but sometimes its too hard to choose! I have yet to read some great fantasy authors that I want to (funds just don't allow it!) like Steven Erikson, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson etc but hopefully I will do soon and I can add them to this list :)

So here is my Top Ten Fantasy Novels:

1. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien
My favourite book ever. Enough said.

2. A Song of Ice and Fire series - George. R.R Martin
I know I'm cheating by saying that the whole series is my #2 but it is so hard to choose from them all. I do think the first book, A Game of Thrones is my favourite with the third books (split in two) a close second. A great, great series and so lucky that I stumbled across them last year! Absolutely love the HBO series too, cannot wait for the second one!

3. Harry Potter - J.K Rowling
I try and read this series every year because it is just amazing. My favourite book is the third, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban but I also love The Deathly Hallows and The Philosopher's Stone (having introdcued us to the amazing world of Hogwarts!)

4. The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien
I love this book. It is so funny and exciting and it is a proper adventure story. I cannot wait for the first part of the film to come out at the end of this year!

5. The Inheritance Cycle - Christoper Paolini
I can't really choose which one out of this series is my favourite. I think Eldest would be my least favourite. I loved the last book though and although I was abit disappointed with the ending and some questions were left unanswered I enjoyed it. I love anything with dragons!

6.  The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks
This book is just traditional fantasy at its best. I loved the series but this book was my favourite.

7. The Silmarillion
This book was a bit hard to get into at first but the stories are so beautiful and tragic.

8. Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb
I only recently read this but I loved it and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. 

9. The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S Lewis
I have loved these books since I was a little child. I especially enjoyed The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Horse and his Boy.

10. Dragonlance Chronicles - Margaret Weis
I can't really remember much about these (read them a few years ago) because I had them bought for and a few days later I had devoured them all. 

What is your favourite fantasy novels?
Also, what genre did you choose for you Top Ten Tuesday?
x

6 comments:

  1. Nice choices! I haven't read some of these, like Shannara and Dragonlance, in sooo long! I hope you can read the other authors you want to soon, because they're awesome :) Library perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I need to be become a library lover because my fantasy wishlist on amazon has nearly 100 books on there that I will never be able to afford right now unless I win the lottery! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello there~ :) Found your blog by chance, new follower ^_^
    Awesome list! You have some epic classics here, and I really think I should go and read The Hobbit now... Paolini's works sound great too! Totally agree with HP! I loved the first as well :)

    Vivian's Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with HP! And I'm sorry (I saw how much you love those books), but I've tried so many times to read LOTR and I keep failing
    :( I don't come any further than half way in the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! Several of those are some of my favorites too. I have to admit I never could get into The Hobbit though. I did love the movie though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great picks... my list of fantasy books read is not yet long enough for a list, since I count series as one :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!