"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

15 February 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Broke Your Heart a Little

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the list lovers over at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme sounds like a fantastic way to get to know other bloggers and their interests shown in their top then lists so I hope to join in when I can. You can hop on over to their page to view past and future top ten lists :) I found it tough to put all these books into order and this list just shows how much of a soft spot I have for cheesy romance books (a guilty pleasure of mine when I want some light relief).

This week's top ten topic:

Books That Broke Your Heart a Little



 1. The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks

The amazing romance of Allie and Noah is a deeply moving and tender hearted romance that had my heart aching for most of the book, and tears strolling down my face. I love this story; both the story of Allie and Noah's love as youngsters and the story of their love in the face of illness and death. But I am now going to commit the ultimate sin and confess that I did enjoy the film more than the book (don't shoot! don't shoot!). The story is just told even better in the film version (it may be because I saw it first) but both the book and film made my heart ache.


2. Message in a Bottle - Nicholas Sparks 

Oh this book had me blubbing like a fool, sobbing my heart out and crying 'why oh why?' out loud. Boy, oh boy, does Sparks write some heart wretching stuff, that pushed me to the edge of almost drowning in my tears. If you ever need a good cry just pick up this book because it will give you puffy, red eyes after finishing the last page.




3. The Wedding - Nicholas Sparks

I read this book a few years back and I can remember that it had my emotions all over the place. One moment I was laughing uncontrollably and then next I was in tears, my heart aching at the sadness of the love story. I loved this book as it centres around the married life of Noah and Allie's son-in-law Wilson Lewis but it also shows the ending of the great love affair of Noah and Allie. It is so sad but so romantic and it definitely had me weeping. 



 4. P.S I Love You - Cecelia Ahern

Oh, Gerry. Gerry, Gerry. Gerry. This book is so touching, both heart warming and heart wrenching at the same time. The tale of love reaching beyond the grave, to help those left behind is so sad that it makes me do a sad face as I write. Holly dealing with the death of her beloved husband, recieves letters and gifts that her husband left behind for her after his death. He helps her in every way, from picking up the pieces of her life without him to finally falling in love again. It is just such a heart achingly good book.


5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K Rowling

This last book is just filled with some teary scenes. One word, just one word for all you HP fans out there who knows how I felt when I read this book: Dobby. Poor Dobby. 







 6. A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

This obviously doesn't strike you as a mushy, sad book right? But there are some very sad scenes in this book; Ned's tragic final moments of life, Bran's utter disappointment at being left crippled, and one scene that left me very very teary is the death of Khal Drogo (oh yeah hope I don't spoil the book for anyone!). Why oh why did Martin do such a sad thing as killing the mighty Khal and leaving Dany all alone with no one to trust. So so sad and the teary moments just keep on coming throughout the series. Sob. 


 7. Dear John - Nicholas Sparks

I must confess that I really did prefer the ending of the film to the ending of the book but I must admit that it may have been even more heart breaking because it meant they were simply not meant to be together but John made the ultimate sacrifice. So sad, and I loved loved loved the letters written. Another teary romantic book written by Sparks.





 8. Marley & Me - John Grogan

One man, one dog = best friends. This book was just so heart warming with its tale of a naughty but loving dog who brings a family together when at times they almost drift apart. The ending of this book just makes me cry every time, and it really does show the unconditional love between man and his best friend. We've all been there right? That's why this book is just so touching.



9. The Memoirs of Cleopatra - Margaret George

I don't know why I was so heart broken after finishing this book because I knew what was going to happen it being based on historical events of one of the most famous romances in history. But I still cried at the death of Marc Antony and the anguish of Cleopatra. George writes with such conviction that I was caught up in the whole story and was truly hurt at the end of such a great romance.




10. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne

I don't think this book needs much explaining regarding it's heart breaking qualities. I felt hollow after finishing it, too hollow to cry even at the tragedy of it all. Not only was the subject matter of the story so poignant and tragic but the ending of the story was just unbelievable and so heart wrenching. It definitely had you thinking of the great atrocities of history.

2 comments:

  1. I'm noticing a Nicholas Sparks theme here! I love the Boy in the Striped Pajamas by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!