"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

03 May 2014

April Wrap-Up: A Month in Books!

Another month over! This year is going so fast, it's crazy! Another great reading month for me; 10 books and 7 graphic novels. Very happy with those numbers. I read some great books this month too. I've been on a little bit of a contemporary kick so I picked up some books a little bit out of my comfort zone. I've got a huge reading crush on Rainbow Rowell (who will be at YALC in July!). Eleanor and Park was really cute and the ending was so agonising but fitting. Fangirl just blew me away. It was so simple but quirky and so insanely real that I devoured it in less than 24 hours. It was so much fun! I also read Attachments and it was so incredibly cute and I loved it. Loved the mix of narrative too; the ending was perfect!  

To All The Boys I've Loved Before was very cute and fluffy - I really enjoyed it. Burn for Burn was so good. I wasn't expecting much but it was so addictive. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour was a little bit of a let down but I did enjoy it in parts and it made me want to jump in a car and just drive and drive (if I could drive that is!). Poison was so creepy and very graphic but I loved how dark, twisted and sinister it was. Definitely getting the other two books in the series! And I finally picked up Shatter Me. It was good but I wasn't blown away - I'll definitely continue with the series though! I also read The Forever Song which was an amazingly satisfying ending to a great series. Sad to see it end though! Stolen Songbird was a review read and I really enjoyed it; loved the take on trolls and it reminded me of the beauty and the beast fairytale at times.

Books Read in April:
 Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell (4*)
The Forever Song - Julie Kagawa (4.5*)
Stolen Songbird - Danielle L Jensen (4*)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han (4*)
Burn for Burn - Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian (4.5*)
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson (3.5*)
Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell (5*)
Attachments - Rainbow Rowell (4.5*)
Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi (4*)
Poison - Sarah Pinborough (4.5*)


Now onto the graphic novels. I dived into the Batgirl New 52 series and thoroughly enjoyed the two volumes - Batgirl Vol 1: The Darkest Reflection & Batgirl Vol 2: Knightfall Descends. Batgirl is such a complex and sassy character and I'm looking forward to continuing her story. Plus the author is also at YALC so definitely need to get lovely hardcover copies of them to get signed! I read Suicide Squad; fun and twisted - loved Harley Quinn! Birds of Prey was good but not my favourite one so far. I then read Wonder Woman Odyssey Vol 1 & 2 which were mind boggingly good and a great take on the WW stories. And finally, I read probably one of my favourite graphic novels - Batman: The Black Mirror. It was incredibly dark and just full of twists and turns. Loved it!

Graphic Novels Read in April: 
 Wonder Woman Odyssey Vol 1 - J Michael Straczynski (4*)
Wonder Woman Odyssey Vol 2 - J Michael Straczynski (4*)
Batman: The Black Mirror - Scott Snyder (5*)
Suicide Squad Vol 1: Kicked in the Teeth - Adam Glass (4*)
Birds of Prey Vol 1: Trouble in Mind - Duane Swierczynski (3*)
Batgirl Vol 1: The Darkest Reflection - Gail Simone (4*)
Batgirl Vol 2: Knightfall Descends - Gail Simone (4*)

2 comments:

  1. You've had an amazing month book wise! I keep meaning to get into graphic novels but I have no idea where to even start. I've bought the GoT ones as something to try because I already like them as books.

    Have an awesome May! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reading month! Not only you've read a bunch of books, but most of them have been 4 stars or more!
    Hope May will be as good!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!